A great article outlining some of the pitfalls with buying an off-the-shelf wordpress theme.
With the meteoric rise of WordPress, there are new websites popping up all over the place. However, a lot of these websites are using off the shelf WordPress themes from market place websites like Themeforest. This means there a lot of identical websites out there. And these websites have some big problems.
The best way to get your company’s website up and running, is to partner with a creative agency, not using an off the shelf template.
Here’s the deal:
Off the shelf WordPress themes have several fundamental flaws. Let’s take a look at some of the problems with “building your own website” using an off the shelf WordPress theme.
The problem with off the shelf WordPress themes is massive.
They’re a “one size fits all” solution, and you’re probably not a one size fits all type of business.
We use WordPress to build all of our websites here at Canny. But there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it!
Cheap themes will work, for a time. They’ll be cheap to setup, for a time. But nothing compares to working with a professional design agency to build your website, and make it work for you!
Off the Shelf Themes
- Will be cheap to buy and pay someone to setup initially.
- Will only last you two or three years before needing a full web overhaul.
- Easy to outgrow.
- Can have a negative effect on your SEO efforts.
- Can prevent you building a solid relationship with a design agency.
- Will seem expensive initially, but over time will prove its value.
- Can be built upon and added to, or redesigned, rather than ripped up.
- Will grow alongside your company.
- Built right, will have a positive effect on your SEO.
- Helps you build a solid relationship with a design agency.